Wednesday, November 7, 2007

#13 del.icio.us

I am not quite sure why this would be tasty! However I can see it's usefulness in tracking regular sites no matter which computer you may be sitting at!

For my fun and exploration of del.icio.us, I decided to check out other library blogs. The tags column is located on the right, so I clicked on "Library Blogs". There were 8 items shown. I decided to select the 4th on the list ie. "Public Libraries - Blogging Libraries" to see if ERL (my own library service) had been listed. Scrolling through the very long list - there it was!!! I also found a couple of other Victorian Public Libraries, those being Yarra Plenty Regional Library and Casey-Cardinia Library Corporation.

However I was a little baffled at first about the second part of the exercise! Then I discovered that I needed to click on "saved by ... other people" to see posting histories and user notes.

I also discovered that beside this link, there was also a "to __________" link which does the same as though I had clicked on the name of the tag on the RHS of the del.icio.us webpage.

I could see myself finding this useful in a professional manner to track what was happening in the way of library programs in public libraries around the world, not to mention my personal interests that I could be tracking also through this bookmarking or tagging system.

My only concern would be as a cataloguer to adjust to free-form tagging when I am so used to having stringent rules!!!

1 comment:

Paul said...

Hi Technoliberated,

I like the idea that you can see what other people are tagging on the same subject. You're able to find other sites of interest by having them indirectly recommended to you. Keep on blogging,

cheers, Paul.