Friday, November 16, 2007

#16 So What's In A Wiki?

Well obviously a lot!

I don't like the idea of wikis being uncontrolled in many circumstances, but then again, that is how they work to keep information current and comprehensive. It will certainly make me more wary when using these sites to obtain information for patrons, as the information could be quite subjective in some circumstances and possibly unsubstantiated in others!

However on a brighter note, what a wonderful way for libraries to be proactive in the world of Web 2.0 for the benefit of their patrons.

I think it would be wonderful in my own library to have a wiki where visitors could obtain information about the nearest accomodation places, or for locals that require emergency accomodation/housing. Both of which I have had to look into for people in the library and yet all the time spent was useful to only one patron, when I could have provided all that information into a library wiki that would have been on hand next time when required. Saving us all the time of searching all over again - probably by a different staff member! This is just one instance I can think of, but there are many more!

A book lover's wiki within libraries is great for people to peruse when looking for a new good read. What a wonderful idea from Princeton Public Library. When someone comes in and asks for suggestions on a great read, maybe I could refer them to a booklover's wiki so they may make their own informed decision about their reading choices without any prejudice or influence by library staff.

It is certainly making me think where and when a wiki would be handy when on desk at the library now!

No comments: